James J.H. Liou
No. 1 Chung-Hsiao E. Road Section 3
Taipei, 10608, Taiwan
Tel. (+886) 27712171 ext. 2332
fax. (+886) 27317168
Date and place of birth: November 8, 1965, Taipei, Taiwan
Marital status: married, three children
1993-1996: Ph.D. in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of
1991-1993: M.S. in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of
1984-1988: B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Tamkang University, Taiwan
2010-current: Associate Professor
Department of Industrial Engineering and Management
National Taipei University of Technology, Taiwan
2008-2010: Associate Professor
Department of Air Transportation, Kainan University, Taiwan
2004-2008: Assistant Professor
Department of Air Transportation, Kainan University, Taiwan
2001-2004: Chief Engineer, Aircraft Certification Institute, Taiwan
1997-2000: Engineer, Aircraft Certification Institute, Taiwan
Publications in English Journals:
1. C.C. Hsu, Liou, J.H. James, Yen-Ching Chuang, Integrating DANP and modified
grey relation theory for the selection of an outsourcing provider, Expert systems
with Application (Accepted)
2. Liou,.J.H. James and Tzeng, G.H. Comments on “Multiple criteria decision
making (MCDM) methods in Economics: An overview”. Technological and
Economic Development of Economy. (Accepted)
3. Liou, J.H. James, Using rough set approach for improving airport service quality,
Transportation Journal (Accepted)
4. Liou, J.H. James, Chuang, Y.C., Tzeng, G.H., Using DANP to select an
outsourcing provider in the airline industry, Journal of Air Transport Management
(accepted, in press)
5. Liou, J.H. James, Developing an integrated model for the selection of strategic
alliance partners in the airline industry, Knowledge-Based Systems 28(1), 59-67,
6. Tsai,C.Y., Liou, J.H. James, Chen,C.J., Hsiao, C.C., Generating touring path
suggestions using time-interval sequential pattern mining, Expert Systems with
Applications 39(3), 3592-3602, 2012.
7. Liou, J.H. James, Tzeng, G.H., Hsu, C.C., Yeh, W.C., Reply to “Comment on
using a modified grey relation method for improving airline service quality”,
Tourism Management 33(3), 319-320, 2012.
8. Liou, J.H. James, Tang, C.H., Yeh, W.C. and Tsai, C.Y. A decision rule approach
for improvement of airport service quality, Expert Systems with Applications
30(11), 13723-13730, 2011.
9. Liou, J.H. James, Wang, H.S., Hsu, C.C. and Yin, S.L., A hybrid model for
selection of an outsourcing provider, Applied Mathematical Modeling 35(10),
10. Liou, J.H. James, Consumer attitudes toward in-flight shopping, Journal of Air
Transport Management 17(4), 221-223, 2011.
11. Liou, J.H. James,Tzeng, G.H., Tsai, C.Y. and Hsu, C.C., A hybrid ANP model in
fuzzy environments for strategic alliance partner selection in the airline industry,
Applied Soft Computing 11(4), 3515-3524, 2011.
12. Liou, J.H. James, Hsu, Chao-Che, Yeh, W.C., A modified grey relation method for
improving service quality of airline industry, Tourism Management 32(6),
13. Liou, J.H. James, Yeh, W.C., Hsu, Y.L. and Hsu, C.C., A service quality survey in
domestic airlines. Journal of Chinese Institute of Transportation 23(3), 289-314.
14. Liou, J.H. James, Variable consistency dominance-based rough set approach to
formulate airline service strategies, Applied Soft Computing 11(5), 4011-4020,
15. Liou, J.H. James, Tsai, C.Y., Lin, L.H., and Tzeng, G.H., A modified VIKOR
multiple-criteria decision method for improving service quality of domestic
airlines, Journal of Air Transportation Management 17(2), 57-61, 2011.
16. Chen, Vivien Y.C., Lien, H.P., Liu,C.H., Liou, J.H. James, Tzeng, G.H., Yang, L.S.,
Fuzzy MCDM approach for selecting the best environment-watershed plan,
Applied Soft Computing 11(1), 265-275, 2011.
17. Liou, J.H. James and Chuang, Mei-ling, Evaluating corporate image and
reputation using fuzzy MCDM approach in airline market, Quality & Quantity,
44(6), 1079-1091, 2010.
18. Liou, J.H. James and Tzeng, G.H., Dominance-based rough set approach for
customer behavior of airline markets, Information Sciences 180(11), 2230-2238,
19. Liou, J.H. James, Yen, Leon, Tzeng, G.H., Using decision rules to achieve mass
customization of airline services, European Journal of Operation Research 205(3),
20. Liou, J.H. James and Chuang, Y.T., Developing a hybrid multi-criteria model for
selection of outsourcing providers, Expert Systems with Applications 37(5),
21. Liou, J.H. James and Tzeng, G.H., Airline maintenance manpower optimization
from the De Novo Perspective. MCDM 2009 CCIS 35, Y. Shi et al. (Eds.), pp.
22. Liou, J.H. James, A novel decision rules approach for customer relationship
management of the airline market, Expert Systems with Applications 36(3), Part 1,
23. Lin, Rong-Ho, Chuang, Chun-Ling, Liou, J.H. James and Wu, Guo-Dong, An
integrated method for finding key supplier in SCM, Expert Systems with
Applications, Vol. 36, No. 3, Part 2, pp. 6461-6465, 2009.
24. Liou, J.H. James, Juang, M.L., A hybrid MCDM model for evaluating the
corporate image of the airline industry, International Journal of Applied
Management Sciences 1(1), 41-53, 2008.
25. Liou, J.H. James, Yen, Leon, Tzeng, G.H., Building an effective safety
management system for airlines. Journal of Air Transport Management 14(1),
26. Tsai, C.Y., Liou, J.H. and Huang, T.M., Using a multiple-GA method to solve the
batch picking problem: considering travel distance and order due time.
International Journal of Production Research 46(22), 6533-6555, 2008.
27. Liou, J.H. James, Tzeng, G.H. and Chang, H.C., A novel hybrid model for safety
measurement of airlines, Journal of Air Transport Management 13(4), 243-249,
28. Liou, J.H. James and Tzeng, G.H., A non-additive model for evaluating airline
service quality, Journal of Air Transport Management 13(3), 131-138, 2007.
29. Jang, D.Y. and Liou, J.H., Study of stress development in axi-symmetric products
processed by radial forging using a 3-D non-linear finite-element method. Journal
of Materials Processing Technology 74(1-3), 74-82, 1998.
30. Liou, J.H. and Jang, D.Y., Forging Parameter Optimization Considering Stress
Distributions in Products through FEM Analysis and Robust Design Methodology,
Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture 37(6), 775-782, 1997.
31. Jang, D.Y., Liou, J.H. and Cho, U.W., Study of Residual Stress Distribution in the
Machined Stainless Steel Component, Tribology Transactions, STLE/ASME 37(3),
32. Liou, J.H. and Jang D.Y., Theoretical Analysis of Residual Stress Distribution in
the Machined Stainless Steel, J. of Math. Modeling and Sci. Computing, 4