Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Industrial Engineering, Faculty of Industrial Engineering, Yazd University, Yazd, Iran.
A multi-product system is one of the different types of manufacturing systems, in which a large number of products are produced that complement each other and have interdependence. These types of systems have recently been widely used in various industries. In some types of multi-product manufacturing industries that offer their products as a package, the scheduling of the production of components of each package affects the time it takes to complete the package. Therefore, a new problem has been defined that the primary purpose of its production scheduling, in addition to reducing the completion time of the products, is to make various items forming a package, get ready over a short interval of time and be supplied to the sales unit so that the package can be delivered to the final consumer. The purpose of this paper is to express the problem of production scheduling of multi-product production systems in the form of linear programming. For this purpose, two mathematical models are presented, and their functions are compared. Besides, an efficient genetic algorithm is proposed to solve the problem, which is able to solve the problem in a reasonable time, with acceptable accuracy.
- Borisovsky, P., Eremeev, A., & Kallrath, J. (2020). Multi-product continuous plant scheduling: combination of decomposition, genetic algorithm, and constructive heuristic. International journal of production research, 58(9), 2677-2695. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2019.1630764
- Li, X. (2021). Research on optimization of setup time for product in the multi-product production system. Microprocessors and microsystems, 80, 103618. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micpro.2020.103618
- Kallrath, J. (2002). Planning and scheduling in the process industry. OR spectrum, 24, 219-250.
- Kim, J. G., Song, S., & Jeong, B. (2020). Minimising total tardiness for the identical parallel machine scheduling problem with splitting jobs and sequence-dependent setup times. International journal of production research, 58(6), 1628-1643. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2019.1672900
- Zhu, Z., & Heady, R. B. (2000). Minimizing the sum of earliness/tardiness in multi-machine scheduling: a mixed integer programming approach. Computers & industrial engineering, 38(2), 297-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-8352(00)00048-6
- Omar, M. K., & Teo, S. C. (2006). Minimizing the sum of earliness/tardiness in identical parallel machines schedule with incompatible job families: an improved MIP approach. Applied mathematics and computation, 181(2), 1008-1017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2006.01.068
- Lee, C. H., Liao, C. J., & Chung, T. P. (2014). Scheduling with multi-attribute setup times on two identical parallel machines. International journal of production economics, 153, 130-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2014.02.013
- Heydari, M., & Aazami, A. (2018). Minimizing the maximum tardiness and makespan criteria in a job shop scheduling problem with sequence dependent setup times. Journal of industrial and systems engineering, 11(2), 134-150. http://www.jise.ir/article_57040_59ef11a3c39c282089bba7bd9aa316bd.pdf
- Wang, X., & Cheng, T. C. E. (2015). A heuristic for scheduling jobs on two identical parallel machines with a machine availability constraint. International journal of production economics, 161, 74-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2014.12.001
- Liao, L. W., & Sheen, G. J. (2008). Parallel machine scheduling with machine availability and eligibility constraints. European journal of operational research, 184(2), 458-467. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.11.027
- Jia, Z. H., Huo, S. Y., Li, K., & Chen, H. P. (2020). Integrated scheduling on parallel batch processing machines with non-identical capacities. Engineering optimization, 52(4), 715-730. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2019.1613388
- Tavakkoli-Moghaddam, R., Jolai, F., Khodadadeghan, Y., & Haghnevis, M. (2006). A mathematical model of a multi-criteria parallel machine scheduling problem: a genetic algorithm (research note). International journal of engineering-transactions A: basics, 19(1), 79-86. https://www.ije.ir/article_71620.html
- Cheng, B., Yang, S., Hu, X., & Chen, B. (2012). Minimizing makespan and total completion time for parallel batch processing machines with non-identical job sizes. Applied mathematical modelling, 36(7), 3161-3167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2011.09.061
- Muter, İ. (2020). Exact algorithms to minimize makespan on single and parallel batch processing machines. European journal of operational research, 285(2), 470-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2020.01.065
- Mirmohseni, S. M., Nasseri, S. H., & Khaviari, M. H. (2017). A new fuzzy hybrid dynamic programming for scheduling weighted jobs on single machine. Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 4(2), 97-115. DOI: 22105/jarie.2017.49214
- Shabtay, D., Mosheiov, G., & Oron, D. (2022). Single machine scheduling with common assignable due date/due window to minimize total weighted early and late work. European journal of operational research, 303(1), 66-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2022.02.017
- Rafiei, A., Homayouni, S. M., & Shafiei Alavijeh, A. (2015). A mathematical model for the single machine scheduling considering sequence dependent setup costs and idle times. Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 2(2), 77-85. http://www.journal-aprie.com/article_42683.html
- Antoniadis, A., Garg, N., Kumar, G., & Kumar, N. (2020). Parallel machine scheduling to minimize energy consumption. Proceedings of the fourteenth annual ACM-SIAM symposium on discrete algorithms (pp. 2758-2769). Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
- Módos, I., Šůcha, P., & Hanzálek, Z. (2017). Algorithms for robust production scheduling with energy consumption limits. Computers & industrial engineering, 112, 391-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2017.08.011
- Aghelinejad, M., Ouazene, Y., & Yalaoui, A. (2018). Production scheduling optimisation with machine state and time-dependent energy costs. International journal of production research, 56(16), 5558-5575. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2017.1414969
- Anghinolfi, D., Paolucci, M., & Ronco, R. (2021). A bi-objective heuristic approach for green identical parallel machine scheduling. European journal of operational research, 289(2), 416-434. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2020.07.020
- Bhosale, K. C., & Pawar, P. J. (2020). Integrated production planning and scheduling for parallel production lines. Advanced engineering optimization through intelligent techniques: select proceedings of AEOTIT 2018 (pp. 679-687). Springer Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-8196-6_59
- Cui, W., Lu, Z., Li, C., & Han, X. (2018). A proactive approach to solve integrated production scheduling and maintenance planning problem in flow shops. Computers & industrial engineering, 115, 342-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2017.11.020
- Chansombat, S., Pongcharoen, P., & Hicks, C. (2019). A mixed-integer linear programming model for integrated production and preventive maintenance scheduling in the capital goods industry. International journal of production research, 57(1), 61-82. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2018.1459923
- Devapriya, P., Ferrell, W., & Geismar, N. (2017). Integrated production and distribution scheduling with a perishable product. European journal of operational research, 259(3), 906-916. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2016.09.019
- Sifaleras, A., Karakalidis, A., & Nikolaidis, Y. (2022). Shift scheduling in multi-item production lines: a case study of a mineral water bottling company. International journal of systems science: operations & logistics, 9(1), 75-86. https://doi.org/10.1080/23302674.2020.1818144