Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Industrial and Production Engineering, Military Institute of Science and Technology (MIST), Bangladesh.
3D printing or additive manufacturing is a technology in which 3D objects are printed by depositing a thin layer of material layer-by-layer until a final product is produced. In this research work, it has been focused on the fabrication of a Portable 3D Printer for the manufacturing of sample parts by using Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) process. The primary process parameters such as nozzle temperature, extrusion speed and fill density in addition to their interactions are studied. It has been observed that these process parameters influence the dimensional accuracy and extrusion time of the part produced by the process of FDM. The main objective of the research work is to create a reliable and cost efficient 3-D printer and to minimize the dimensional variation that usually occurs to plastic parts produced by 3D printers. Cartesian mechanism has been used where the print bed moves in the Z direction and the extruder moves in both the X and Y directions. The 3D printing filament that has been used is made of Poly Lactic Acid or Poly Lactide (PLA). The process involved 3D solid modeling to design, 3D printing with coated adhesive applied on the printing platform, measurement of dimensional variation of the printed parts and statistical analysis. Response Surface Methodology (RSM) based desirability analysis has been employed for optimization of FDM process parameters namely, nozzle temperature, extrusion speed and fill density. Mathematical models were developed and tested for accuracy and extrusion time using Design Expert 11 software for RSM application.
- Zahan, N., Jony, F., & Nahar, K. (2020). Cost minimization of artificial hip bone implantation surgery by adopting additive manufacturing technique and its feasibility assessment. International journal of research in industrial engineering, 9(4), 328-336. (In Persian). DOI: 22105/riej.2020.257506.1148
- Ligon, S. C., Liska, R., Stampfl, J., Gurr, M., & Mülhaupt, R. (2017). Polymers for 3D printing and customized additive manufacturing. Chemical reviews, 117(15), 10212-10290. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemrev.7b00074
- Uz-Zaman, U.K., Boesch, E., Siadat, A., Rivette, M., & Baqai, A.A. (2019). Impact of fused deposition modeling (FDM) process parameters on strength of built parts using Taguchi's design of experiments. International journal of advanced manufacturing technology, 101(5-8), 1215-1226.
- Patil, D. R., Deepak, D., Dharshan Gowda, S., Krishna Kashyap, C. S., Murtaza, M., Prashanth, S. N., ... & Bharath, V. G. (2017). Economical 3d–printer by adopting FDM technique. International journal of mechanical engineering and technology, 8(4), 442-447.
- Singh, D., & Rahul, G. (2018). Design and development of Cartesian co-ordinate based 3d printer. International journal of mechanical and production engineering research and development (IJMPERD), 8(1), 263-270.
- Lieneke, T., Denzer, V., Adam, G. A., & Zimmer, D. (2016). Dimensional tolerances for additive manufacturing: experimental investigation for fused deposition modeling. Procedia CIRP, 43, 286-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2016.02.361
- Lyu, J., & Manoochehri, S. (2019). Multi-objective optimization based on machine reliability and process-dependent product quality for FDM system. The international journal of advanced manufacturing technology, 102(5), 2511-2520. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-019-03357-2
- Singh, G., Missiaen, J. M., Bouvard, D., & Chaix, J. M. (2021). Copper extrusion 3D printing using metal injection moulding feedstock: Analysis of process parameters for green density and surface roughness optimization. Additive manufacturing, 38, 101778. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addma.2020.101778
- Alsoufi, M. S., & Elsayed, A. E. (2018). Surface roughness quality and dimensional accuracy—a comprehensive analysis of 100% infill printed parts fabricated by a personal/desktop cost-effective FDM 3D printer. Materials sciences and applications, 9(01), 11–40. DOI:4236/msa.2018.91002
- Refinery, N. P., & Braimah, M. N. (2016). Utilization of response surface methodology (RSM) in the optimization of crude oil refinery. Journal of multidisciplinary engineering science and technology (JMEST), 3, 4361-4369.
- Norani, M. N. M., Abdollah, M. F. B., Abdullah, M. I. H. C., Amiruddin, H., Ramli, F. R., & Tamaldin, N. (2021). 3D printing parameters of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene polymer for friction and wear analysis using response surface methodology. Proceedings of the institution of mechanical engineers, part j: journal of engineering tribology, 235(2), 468-477.
- Srinivasan, R., Pridhar, T., Ramprasath, L. S., Charan, N. S., & Ruban, W. (2020). Prediction of tensile strength in FDM printed ABS parts using response surface methodology (RSM). Materials today: proceedings, 27, 1827-1832. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2020.03.788
- Rai, H. V., Modi, Y. K., & Pare, A. (2018, June). Process parameter optimization for tensile strength of 3D printed parts using response surface methodology. IOP conference series: materials science and engineering, 377(1), p. 012027). IOP Publishing.
- Srivastava, M., Maheshwari, S., Kundra, T. K., & Rathee, S. (2017). Multi-response optimization of fused deposition modelling process parameters of ABS using response surface methodology (RSM)-based desirability analysis. Materials today: proceedings, 4(2), 1972-1977. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2017.02.043
- Radhwan, H., Shayfull, Z., Farizuan, M. R., Effendi, M. S. M., & Irfan, A. R. (2019, July). Optimization parameter effects on the quality surface finish of the three-dimensional printing (3D-printing) fused deposition modeling (FDM) using RSM. AIP conference proceedings, 2129(1), p. 020155. AIP Publishing LLC. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5118163