Document Type : Research Paper
1 Department of Industrial and Production Engineering, Military Institute of Science and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
2 School of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma 73019, USA.
5S is a systematic approach that helps to organize a workplace for increasing efficiency and reduce wasting of productivity by providing an organized safe environment. The objective of this paper is to emphasize the implementation of 5S principles for the workplace by reflecting a tooling problem of a manufacturing unit. This article examines the challenges experienced in the implementation of 5S methodology to optimize labor and safety in a manufacturing department by showing the gap of productivity caused while not having 5S methodology in workplaces. The time consumption analysis of 5S implementation through shadow boarding demonstrates workers who have been able to perform work more efficiently along with a significant reduction of searching time of tools. The results showed that 5S along with the shadow boarding technique creates improvement in efficiency, workspace, equipment search time, working environment and safety. Consequently, this shadow boarding technique would strongly support the objectives of multinational companies to achieve continuous improvement and higher performance.
- Jiménez, M., Romero, L., Domínguez, M., & Del Mar Espinosa, M. (2015). 5S methodology implementation in the laboratories of an industrial engineering university school. Safety science, 78, 163-172.
- Phogat, S. (2013). An Introduction to applicability of Lean in Warehousing. International journal of latest research in science and technology, 2(5), 105-109.
- Al-Aomar, R. A. (2011). Applying 5S LEAN Technology: an infrastructure for continuous process improvement. World academy of science, engineering and technology, 59(2011), 2014-2019.
- Singh, A., & Ahuja, I. S. (2015). Review of 5S methodology and its contributions towards manufacturing performance. International journal of process management and benchmarking, 5(4), 408-424.
- Yang, M. G. M., Hong, P., & Modi, S. B. (2011). Impact of lean manufacturing and environmental management on business performance: An empirical study of manufacturing firms. International journal of production economics, 129(2), 251-261.
- Melton, T. (2005). The benefits of lean manufacturing: what lean thinking has to offer the process industries. Chemical engineering research and design, 83(6), 662-673.
- Omogbai, O., & Salonitis, K. (2017). The implementation of 5S lean tool using system dynamics approach. Procedia cirp, 60, 380-385.
- Veres, C., Marian, L., Moica, S., & Al-Akel, K. (2018). Case study concerning 5S method impact in an automotive company. Procedia manufacturing, 22, 900-905.
- Joshi, A. A. (2015). A Review on Seven S (7S) as a tool of Workplace Organization. International journal of innovations in engineering and technology, 6(2), 19-26.
- Singh, S., Mistry, N., Chavda, J., Patel, T., & Patel, N. (2015). Identification of factors which are affecting for effective implementation of 5S technique in SMEs of Vadodara region. International journal on theoretical and applied research in mechanical engineering, 4(3), 29-33.
- Ramesh, K., Muruganantham, V. R., & Arunkumar, N. R. (2014). 5S implementation studies in biomass processing unit. International journal of innovative research in science, engineering and technology, 3(4), 312-318.
- Hasan, K., Islam, M. S., Shams, A. T., & Gupta, H. (2018). Total quality management (TQM): implementation in primary education system of Bangladesh. International journal of research in industrial engineering, 7(3), 370-380.
- Ankit, K., & Patel, P. R. (2017). Reducing material searching time by implementing 5S in stores department of manufacturing industry. International conference on ideas, impact and innovation in mechanical engineering(Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 17-25).
- Lamprea, E. J. H., Carreño, Z. M. C., & Sánchez, P. M. T. M. (2015). Impact of 5S on productivity, quality, organizational climate and industrial safety in Caucho Metal Ltda. Ingeniare, revista chilena de ingeniería, 23(1), 107-117.
- Agrahari, R. S., Dangle, P. A., & Chandratre, K. V. (2015). Implementation of 5S methodology in the small-scale industry: A case study. International journal of scientific & technology research, 4(4), 180-187.
- Patel, V. C., & Thakkar, H. (2014). Review on implementation of 5S in various organization. International journal of engineering research and applications, 4(3), 774-779.
- Young, F. Y. (2014). The use of 5S in healthcare services: a literature review. International journal of business and social science, 5(10), 240-248.
- Singh, A., & Ahuja, I. S. (2014). Evaluating the impact of 5S methodology on manufacturing performance. International journal of business continuity and risk management, 5(4), 272-305.
- Singh, J., Rastogi, V., & Sharma, R. (2014). Implementation of 5S practices: a review. Uncertain supply chain management, 2(3), 155-162.