Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Industrial Engineering and Management, Khulna University of Engineering & Technology, Khulna, Bangladesh.
Optimization and selecting effective design parameters are a big issue in the field of product design and development. The optimal value determination for design parameters is a challenge for the furniture industry. Therefore, an appropriate statistical approach is required. In this research the full factorial two-level four-factor design of experiment method was used to determine the optimal values for a shape changeable furniture. For the m-chair’s- which can be used as a chair, floor bed, and table, four design parameters- bending axis material surface roughness, density of body material, width of the surface plane, and the number of bending axis were evaluated on basis of the performance time of shape changing where the optimal value of influential parameters were determined for a minimum reshaping time using Minitab. This method can be implemented for unique product design. But for further study, different form changing times should be considered individually.
- Full factorial DOE analysis
- Two-level four-factor DOE
- Minimization optimization model
- Shape-changeable furniture design
- Kroes, P. (2009). Foundational issues of engineering design. In Philosophy of technology and engineering sciences (pp. 513-541). North-Holland. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-51667- 1.50023-9
- Nasser, F. (2013). Multifunctional furniture for underprivileged communities: A milestone in sustainable development(Master theses, Purdue University). Retrieved from https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgttheses/26/
- Grønbæk, J. E., Korsgaard, H., Petersen, M. G., Birk, M. H., & Krogh, P. G. (2017, May). Proxemic transitions: designing shape-changing furniture for informal meetings. Proceedings of the 2017 CHI conference on human factors in computing systems (pp. 7029-7041). https://doi.org/10.1145/3025453.3025487
- Nirmal, U., Kiat Ng, P., Jee, K. S., & Anton, E. (2018). Product and market observations on furniture technological developments. International journal of engineering & technology, 7(3.7), 558-562.
- Habib, A., Taher, G. A., & Saha, M. (2013). Multifunctional computer table.IJRET: International journal of research in engineering and technology, 2(10), 536-544.
- Rajan, A. P., Elavarasan, D., Balaji, S., Dinesh, A., & Gowtham, K. (2019). Design and fabrication of multifunctional furniture. International journal of research in engineering, science and management, 2(5), 442-447.
- Hsueh, S. L., & Kuo, C. H. (2016). Factors in an interdisciplinary curriculum for the students of industrial design designing multifunctional products. Eurasia journal of mathematics, science and technology education, 12(4), 1075-1089.
- Davim, J. P. (Ed.). (2016). Design of experiments in production engineering. Basel, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing.
- Rafidah, A., Nurulhuda, A., Azrina, A., Suhaila, Y., Anwar, I. S., & Syafiq, R. A. (2014). Comparison design of experiment (doe): Taguchi method and full factorial design in surface roughness. Applied mechanics and materials, 660, 275-279.
- Arcos, J. I. L., Camacho, R. G., Campos, P. H. D. S., Da Silva, C. E. S., & de Paiva, A. P. (2017, October). Improve the product design process, with CFD and DOE approach. Proceedings of the international conference on industrial engineering and operations management (pp. 164-172). Bogota, Colombia.
- Beg, S., Swain, S., Rahman, M., Hasnain, M. S., & Imam, S. S. (2019). Application of design of experiments (DoE) in pharmaceutical product and process optimization. In Pharmaceutical quality by design(pp. 43-64). Academic Press.
- Rehman, M. A. U., Bastan, F. E., Haider, B., & Boccaccini, A. R. (2017). Electrophoretic deposition of PEEK/bioactive glass composite coatings for orthopedic implants: a design of experiments (DoE) study. Materials & design, 130, 223-230.
- Jacyna, J., Kordalewska, M., & Markuszewski, M. J. (2019). Design of experiments in metabolomics-related studies: An overview. Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis, 164, 598-606.
- Ghiaus, C., & Alzetto, F. (2019). Design of experiments for Quick U-building method for building energy performance measurement. Journal of building performance simulation, 12(4), 465-479.
- Alagumurthi, N., Palaniradja, K., & Soundararajan, V. (2006). Optimization of grinding process through design of experiment (DoE)—a comparative study. Materials and manufacturing processes, 21(1), 19-21.
- Montgomery, D. C. (1992). The use of statistical process control and design of experiments in product and process improvement. IIE transactions, 24(5), 4-17.
- Engineering ToolBox. (2003). Roughness & surface coefficients. Retrieved January 15, 2021 from https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/surface-roughness-ventilation-ducts-d_209.html