Document Type : Research Paper
South African Government, Department of Science and Innovation, Tshwane University of Technology, South Africa.
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Botswana International University of Science and Technology, Palapye, Botswana.
All engineering graduates must possess specific essential competencies when leaving universities to transition to the industry or be successful in the world of work. This paper adopts a literature review approach to synthesise available secondary data regarding creating harmony among engineering disciplines. It uses the illustration of a vending machine to indicate how various engineering disciplines could be harmonised through the Learning Factory platform. Moreover, it provides some ideas for harmonising engineering disciplines. The main findings of this work suggest that the Learning Factory concept is a critical ideology that is worth implementing, especially by developing. The Learning Factory environment can produce well-rounded graduates capable of applying technical and non-technical skills to solve community challenges, including being entrepreneurial and innovative to drive economic growth and development. The paper concludes by providing insights demonstrating that the concept of a Learning Factory can also be utilized for addressing other engineering and industrial-related challenges.
- Yadav, A., Subedi, D., Lundeberg, M. A., & Bunting, C. F. (2011). Problem‐based learning: Influence on students' learning in an electrical engineering course. Journal of engineering education, 100(2), 253-280. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2011.tb00013.x
- Flegg, J., Mallet, D., & Lupton, M. (2012). Students' perceptions of the relevance of mathematics in engineering. International journal of mathematical education in science and technology, 43(6), 717-732. https://doi.org/10.1080/0020739X.2011.644333
- Narayan-Parker, D. (2002). Empowerment and poverty reduction: a sourcebook. World Bank Publications.
- Wahid, A., Ahmad, M. S., Talib, N. B. A., Shah, I. A., Tahir, M., Jan, F. A., & Saleem, M. Q. (2017). Barriers to empowerment: assessment of community-led local development organizations in Pakistan. Renewable and sustainable energy reviews, 74, 1361-1370. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.11.163
- Xu, K. (2008). Engineering education and technology in a fast-developing China. Technology in society, 30(3-4), 265-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techsoc.2008.04.024
- Jowitt, P. (2010). Engineering, innovation, social and economic development. Engineering: Issues, challenges and opportunities for development.
- Contractor, N. S., & Monge, P. R. (2002). Managing knowledge networks. Management communication quarterly, 16(2), 249-258. https://doi.org/10.1177/089331802237238
- Finkelstein, A. (2000). Identifying and incorporating stakeholders in requirements engineering. Magazine of department of computer science. University College London.
- Baskerville, R., & Dulipovici, A. (2006). The theoretical foundations of knowledge management. Knowledge management research & practice, 4(2), 83-105. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.kmrp.8500090
- Howard, S. K., Calvo, R. A., & Hussain, M. S. (2013, December). Driving curriculum and technological change to support writing in the engineering disciplines. IEEE 5th conference on engineering education (ICEED) (pp. 103-108). IEEE. DOI: 1109/ICEED.2013.6908312
- Birch, D., Liang, H., Kelly, P. H., Mullineux, G., Field, T., Ko, J., & Simondetti, A. (2014). Multidisciplinary engineering models: methodology and case study in spreadsheet analytics. arXiv. arXiv:1401.4582
- Mordinyi, R., Winkler, D., Waltersdorfer, F., Scheiber, S., & Biffl, S. (2015, January). Integrating heterogeneous engineering tools and data models: a roadmap for developing engineering system architecture variants. International conference on software quality(pp. 89-107). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-13251-8_6
- Craig, K. (2016). Innovating the engineering education model. Retrieved July 20, 2021 from http://www.machinedesign.com/contributing-technical-experts/innovating-engineering-education-model
- Zheng, C., Bricogne, M., Le Duigou, J., Hehenberger, P., & Eynard, B. (2018). Knowledge-based engineering for multidisciplinary systems: integrated design based on interface model. Concurrent engineering, 26(2), 157-170. https://doi.org/10.1177/1063293X17734591
- Wagner, U., AlGeddawy, T., ElMaraghy, H., & MŸller, E. (2012). The state-of-the-art and prospects of learning factories. Procedia CiRP, 3, 109-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2012.07.020
- Tisch, M., Hertle, C., Cachay, J., Abele, E., Metternich, J., & Tenberg, R. (2013). A systematic approach on developing action-oriented, competency-based Learning Factories. Procedia CIRP, 7, 580-585. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2013.06.036
- Kreimeier, D., Morlock, F., Prinz, C., Krückhans, B., Bakir, D. C., & Meier, H. (2014). Holistic learning factories–a concept to train lean management, resource efficiency as well as management and organization improvement skills. Procedia Cirp, 17, 184-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2014.01.040
- Tisch, M., Abele, E., & Metternich, J. (2019). The variety of learning factory concepts. Inlearning factories (pp.99-125). Springer Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-92261-4_5
- Gento, A. M., Pimentel, C., & Pascual, J. A. (2021). Lean school: an example of industry-university collaboration. Production planning & control, 32(6), 473-488. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537287.2020.1742373
- Berić, D., Stefanović, D., Lalić, B., & Ćosić, I. (2018). The implementation of ERP and MES Systems as a support to industrial management systems. International journal of industrial engineering and management (IJIEM), 9(2), 77-86.
- Darun, M. R., Al Adresi, A., Turi, J. A., & Ghazali, M. (2020). Integrating blockchain technology for air purifier production system at FIM learning factory. International journal of control and automation, 13(2), 1112-1117.
- Tisch, M., Ranz, F., Abele, E., Metternich, J., & Hummel, V. (2015). Learning factory morphology–study of form and structure of an innovative learning approach in the manufacturing domain. The Turkish online journal of educational technology. https://d-nb.info/1129262421/34
- Malele, V., Mpofu, K., & Muchie, M. (2017, June). Lesson learned from exposing Computer Systems Engineering students to entrepreneurship and innovation activities. Proceedings of the fourth biennial conference of the South African society for engineering education (SASEE) (p.1-441).
- Lamancusa, J. S., Zayas, J. L., Soyster, A. L., Morell, L., & Jorgensen, J. (2008). 2006 Bernard M. Gordon Prize Lecture*: The Learning Factory: Industry‐Partnered Active Learning. Journal of engineering education, 97(1), 5-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2008.tb00949.x
- Veres, M. M., Veres, C., Rauca, A. M., Marian, L. O., & Sigmirean, A. (2021). Research on qualified vocational training development in the context of digitalization. Multidisciplinary digital publishing institute proceedings, 63(1), 68. https://doi.org/10.3390/proceedings2020063068
- Abele, E., Metternich, J., Tisch, M., Chryssolouris, G., Sihn, W., ElMaraghy, H., ... & Ranz, F. (2015). Learning factories for research, education, and training. Procedia CiRp, 32, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2015.02.187
- Tisch, M., Hertle, C., Abele, E., Metternich, J., & Tenberg, R. (2016). Learning factory design: a competency-oriented approach integrating three design levels. International journal of computer integrated manufacturing, 29(12), 1355-1375. https://doi.org/10.1080/0951192X.2015.1033017
- Sackey, S. M., Bester, A., & Adams, D. (2017). Industry 4.0 learning factory didactic design parameters for industrial engineering education in South Africa. South African journal of industrial engineering, 28(1), 114-124. https://hdl.handle.net/10520/EJC-796a39a54
- Van der Merwe, A., Hummel, V., & Matope, S. (2016). The learning factory: a didactic platform for knowledge transfer in South Africa. Faculty of Engineering, Department of Industrial Engineering, Stellenbosch University.
- Baena, F., Guarin, A., Mora, J., Sauza, J., & Retat, S. (2017). Learning factory: The path to industry 4.0. Procedia manufacturing, 9, 73-80.
- Abele, E., Chryssolouris, G., Sihn, W., Metternich, J., ElMaraghy, H., Seliger, G., ... & Seifermann, S. (2017). Learning factories for future oriented research and education in manufacturing. CIRP annals, 66(2), 803-826. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2017.05.005
- Zata, N. M., van Niekerk, T. I., & Fernandes, J. M. (2016). A process control learning factory with a plant simulation integrated to industry standard control hardware. 2016 pattern recognition association of South Africa and robotics and mechatronics international conference (PRASA-RobMech) (pp. 1-8). IEEE. DOI: 1109/RoboMech.2016.7813175
- Blanchard, N. P., & Thacker, J. W (2009). Effective training, systems, strategies, and practices. Pearson College Div.
- Barghash, M., Al-Qatawneh, L., Ramadan, S., & Dababneh, A. (2017). Analytical hierarchy process applied to supermarket layout selection. Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 4(4), 215-226. DOI: 22105/jarie.2017.54706
- Łyp-Wrońska, K., & Tyczyński, B. (2018). Analysis of the 5S method in production enterprise-case study. MATEC Web of Conferences(Vol. 183, p. 01016). EDP Sciences.
- Debnath, S. (2021). Fuzzy hypersoft sets and its weightage operator for decision making. Journal of fuzzy extension and applications, 2(2), 163-170. DOI: 22105/jfea.2021.275132.1083